Presentation on theme: "Noel Vietmeyer U.S. National Academy of Sciences “Although few people have heard of it today, Moringa could soon become one of the world’s most valuable."
1.Noel Vietmeyer U.S. National Academy of Sciences “Although few people have heard of it today, Moringa could soon become one of the world’s most valuable plants, at least in humanitarian terms.” -1992
5.12 years ago, very few projects and studies were being done with Moringa in Africa
6.Today, there are many organizations, churches, and individuals promoting or using Moringa in virtually every country in sub- Saharan Africa – wherever the tree can grow
7.In some countries, the number of NGO’s involved with Moringa has become so great that national associations of Moringa promoters have been created
8.Growing African interest in Moringa is also reflected in African presentations at international Moringa workshops 2001 WORKSHOP International presenters: 8+ African presenters: 1 2006 WORKSHOP International presenters:13 African presenters:20+
9.MORINGA WEBSITES www.moringanews.org www.treesforlife.org www.tfljournal.org www.miracletrees.org www.echonet.org
10. FILMS EXTOLLING MORINGA It is quite surprising to find many films about Moringa are now featured on Youtube: films made in the Philippines, India, Madagascar, Ghana, Senegal, the United States... Go to the following site and it will lead you to other sites: https://www.youtube.com/watch ?v=kTSrhxsnucw
Borlaug; Volume 3, Bread Winner 1960-1969
11. MORINGA HEALTH DEVELOPMENTS
12. AVRDC: The World Vegetable Center
13. AVRDC REPORT Variation among 10 M.oleifera accessions for nutrient contents were small and thus varietal selection should focus on horticulture traits.
14. AVRDC REPORT ON NUTRIENT AVAILABILITY Mature leaves were more nutritious than young shoots and could be quickly dried with minimum nutrient loss. We found that harvest season and leaf stage significantly influenced nutrient contents of Moringa leaves. Higher protein, vitamin A and glucosinolates contents and AOA (antioxidant activities) were obtained in hot-wet season; whereas, higher iron, vitamin C, and phenolic contents were found in cool-dry season.
15. AVRDC REPORT ON NUTRIENT BIOAVAILABILIY Oligosaccharides and oxalate were reported as anti-nutrient factors in Moringa leaves... In this study, stachyose and raffinose were not found in mature leaves but detected in young leaves... Moringa mature leaves contained very low value of oxalate (0.99±0.21mg/g/dw) compared to spinach (25-45mg/g/dw).
16. AVRDC REPORT ON IRON BIOAVAILABILITY Boiling in water enhanced the in vitro iron bioavailability of Moringa fresh leaves and dried powder by 3.5 and 3 times, respectively. Cooking Moringa leaves also raised total available iron of mixtures with other food items such as mungbeans.
17.AVRDC RECOMMENDATIONS Our survey of over 120 species of tropical and subtropical edible plants for nutrient content, antioxidant activity (AOA) and crop traits indicated that Moringa oleifera is one of the most promising crops which could increase intake of micronutrients and antioxidants.
18.AVRDC RECOMMENDATION Moringa should be promoted for greater consumption to improve nutrition and strengthen immune functions for fighting infectious diseases.
19.MORINGA HEALTH AND MEDICINE
20.CLINICAL STUDIES A study in India with human diabetics found that blood sugar levels decreased through daily intake of Moringa leaf powder. A study with humans in Ghana indicated that intake of Moringa leaf powder can decrease hypertension. A study in the Philippines found that consumption of Moringa fruit can increase sperm count.
Borlaug; Volume 2, Wheat Whisperer 1944-1959
21.TRADITIONAL REMEDIES New treatments from seminars in Ghana March 2008 by ANAMED: Many people said that Moringa had helped greatly to improve their general health. Some said that their short sight had improved. Cuts and wounds Pound fresh leaves into a paste. Cover the wound with this paste, bandage and leave for 3 days.
22.A woman has given birth and is bleeding. Pound fresh leaves, add a little water and give it her to drink. Prevention of polio. Give flowers to children to eat to prevent polio. Chronic sores. Take some roots, wash them and scrape the outside layer off. Heat in water. Use the water to wash the wound. Then dress as number 1.
23.Epilepsy. Pound the bark or the roots of a mature tree. Add tender leaves and a little water. Smear this paste over the face and the whole body. Also put a little of the pounded root in a handkerchief and inhale. To bring fever down. Dip a Moringa branch into water and stroke the whole body. Then give Moringa tea to drink.
24.Snake and scorpion bites. Pound the root, add leaves and apply to the bite. Stops the poison from spreading. Short sight. Wash the flowers in salt water, chew and swallow. Take three times daily. Or cook the flowers in palm oil.
25.To cleanse the blood. Wash the root and remove the bark (not the “bast”, i.e. the inner layer immediately under the bark that carries the sap from the roots to the leaves). Put into water that has just boiled and has been removed from the heat. The water changes colour. Mix with a few Moringa leaves. Thereafter, take every day take Moringa leaves in water.
26.Clear thinking for school children – especially under-performing children. Wash Moringa root, remove the bark and soak in water for two days until the water changes color (brown / pink) (or as 10 above). Remove the roots, take one cup of the liquid and mix with half a cup of honey. Give to the child first thing in the morning – then he should have no breakfast until 9 o'clock. He can even take it again in the evening. Prepare this root water fresh every day. Note: heating Moringa causes it to lose it healing properties.
27.Severe stomach-ache Pound two seeds and take with medicinal charcoal. Stomach pains Chew and eat two seed kernels and drink a cup of water. Arthritis pains Chew and eat two seed kernels in the morning and two again at night.
28.MORINGA LIVESTOCK FEED
29.Successful experiences on the use of Moringa oleifera in animal feeding Bryan Mendieta, Nadir Reyes & Rosario Rodriguez
30.Treatments 6 COWS T1: Hay (B brizantha), sugar cane molassas (SCM) T2: Hay + SCM + 2kg DM (Dry Moringa) T3: Hay + SCM + 3kg DM 36 PIGS (45 days old) T1: 100% Commercial Concentrate (CC) T2: 70% CC + 30% DM T3: 52% CC + 48% DM
31.Treatments 18 SHEEP 5 months old T1: Panicum Maximum hay ad libitum T2: P.M. ad libitum + 0.35kg DM T3: P.M. ad libitum + 0.50kg DM
33. Cow trial results Items B. Brizantha hay + 2 kg DM M. oleifera + 3 kg DM M. oleifera S.E Feed Intake Kg DM day -1 8,510,2110,21 Milk Kg cow day -1 3,104,915,070,2 FCM kg cow day -1 3,144,864,950,16 MF Kg cow day -1 41,839,838,70,10 FCM (Fat Corrected Milk 4%), MF (Milk Fat)
34.Pig Trial Results Items 100% Concentrate 70% CC+30 M oleifera 52% CC+48% M. oleifera Average Daily Gain (Kg) 0,6000,3700,270 Feed Conversion Kg feed per Kg weight gain 3,718,9712,09 Final Body Weight (Kg) 94,9263,4242,09
Borlaug; The Mild-Mannered Maverick Who Fed a Billion People
35.Sheep Trial Results Items 100% P. maximun + 0,35 Kg DM M. oleifera + 0,50 Kg DM M. oleifera DMI Kg 0,570,730,80 DWG g lamb -1 day -1 30,8590,91117,97 DMI (Dry Matter Intake), DWG (DAily Weigth Gain)
36.Conclusions M. Oleifera fed at 2-3 Kg DM day -1 improved DMI and Milk Yield in Cows. Pigs fed with M. Oleifera had less AWG and more Feed Conversion than fed with CC. However, feeding M oleifera to pigs may still be profitable due to the lower feed price. This needs to be further investigated. When fed P. maximun as basal diet M. Oleifera can increase DMI, DWG and BW of lambs.
37.MORINGA SEED OIL
38.Companies selling Moringa oil QtyPrice UncleHarry.com1oz$12 Eromatic.co.uk100ml$12 Fromnaturewithlove.com 2oz$15.23 Gracefruit.com100ml$8.55 Moringafarms.com4oz$25
39.Companies producing Moringa oil We can offer Moringa oil for US$18 per Kilo and Moringa Leaf Powder for US$6 per Kilo. Please let us know where you want the product to be delivered. Moringa Exports (A Division of VEG INDIA EXPORTS) 106, Prakasam Street, Erode - 638001 INDIA Email: email@example.com@moringaexports.com
42.MORINGA OIL FOR BIOFUEL? In the Philippines, SECURA International announced that Moringa trees will be grown on 500,000 hectares to supply oil for sale to North American Biofuels, Inc. SECURA plans to export 150 million gallons of Moringa oil annually. In Australia, Moringa Pty Ltd is establishing Moringa plantations on 500,000 hectares. Moringa Pty is in discussion with Biodiesel Technology operators for the provision of a 2ML per annum biodiesel pilot facility to enable on-farm processing.
43.MORINGA PATENT PROBLEM At the most recent count, concerning Moringa there exist: 60 international patents 67 USA patents 98 pending USA patent applications
44.Malnutrition map 13